A lot of Christians and non-Christians do not properly understand the New Testament and what it means to be “free in Christ”. I often hear televangelists talking about financial curses. They try to preach a sermon on giving 10% of their money to remove this curse off their life. They promise that they will be covered under their ministry and will start to gain wealth from their tithes and offerings. They even bring in scripture verses from the Old Testament that talk about curses and blessings.
It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that you are living under a curse. Christians are free from curses because Jesus died on the cross for our sins. In Galatians 3:13, the verse talks about Jesus freeing us from the curse of the law. The curses under the law were strict. If you broke any of them, there would be serious consequences. You are not under any spiritual law to tithe to any minister anymore. The Bible does teach us in the New Testament that we should support our pastors and religious clergy. The New Testament tells us that a worker is worth of their wages (1 Timothy 5:18).
You may be asking yourself, “If I am not under a curse, then why am I always broke.” There is a good reason why this happens. For starters, the Bible says that God made the poor to be rich in faith (James 2:5). As New Testament Christians, we are to live within the means that God has given to us. There is a good element to gaining wealth if that is your desire. Follow these steps and you will succeed.
- Develop a skill or product that is in high demand. You must perfect this.
- Find a way to work for yourself so that you can keep all the profits for yourself and not split them with an employer. This requires good marketing skills. If you are a terrible marketer, find someone that could help you. If you don’t have a good marketing plan, you will never become successful.
- You need courage to talk to people and tell them what you do. When Jesus started his ministry, he talked to people, and they followed him. In just 3 years of Jesus’s ministry, he had thousands of followers and people interested in his words and what he had to say. Thousands of people witnessed his miracles. Jesus was good at talking to people and saying, “Come and follow me.” Does anyone want to purchase anything from you? Do employers call you begging to have you come work for them? This only happens if you are extremely good at something.
- Work hard every day. You will need to put in around 50+ hours into your career to see it become established. Building a business and a product take time, energy and repetition.
- You must be called to do what you are doing. Pray and ask God to show you what his will is for your life. Only do what he tells you to do. Never look at the statistics in what people generally make in that occupation. Most pastors earn only $50,000 or less per year with a masters of divinity degree. Most televangelists pastors earn $200,000 + per year.
- Learn how to build good credit so that you can expand and grow your business. Without that, you will have trouble paying for expenses.
- Pray daily and ask God to show you how to build the business properly. As they say, “Where God guides, he provides.”
- Find investors and people that believe in you. They can help spread the word about your business/product and tell people how good you are.
There is nothing wrong with being poor or middle class. However, if you can’t obtain these above steps in life, you will always struggle financially. You are not under a curse. You are simply not taking on the proper steps for success.