Are your prayers becoming repetitive? Are you tired of saying the same words repeatedly? This is because you are not praying right. Here are a few tips on how to pray.
- Matthew 6:7, tells us to not say the same prayer repeatedly in hopes to get God’s attention. It tells us to pray by asking God what’s on our heart. You should talk to the Lord as though he was your friend. Many people think that prayer is reading words out of a book that someone else wrote. True prayer comes from the heart. God is listening.
- Pray with the right intentions. Many Christians and non-Christians do not understand the Lord because they have not taught themselves about him. When you pray with the wrong motives, God will not give you what you want. Read 1 John 5:14. You will be able to see that we must ask for things when it’s God’s will. I once heard a woman praying and she asked God to make her ex-husband lose all his money because he cheated on her. Do you find anything wrong with this prayer? Does God really want us to wish evil on someone even if evil was done to us? If you are not sure, please read, Matthew 5:44. The passage tells us to pray for those that persecute us and to love our enemies.
- In Mark 11:24, the Bible teaches us to believe in what we want, and we will receive it. The key here is that we must believe that we will get what we have prayed for (faith). If your faith is weak, you may feel like God is not answering your prayers. Where is your faith today? Do you need to work on it?
- Luke 11:2-4 teaches us that we must always start our prayer with thanking God for all that he has given to us. Remember God is holy. Before Jesus performed any miracle, he always thanked God first.
- Proverbs 15:29 tells us that God is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayers of the righteous. If your prayers never get answered, are you sure that you are not wicked? If you are unsure of what a wicked person is, please read 2 Timothy 3:2-4. Does this sound like who you are?
- Are you spending enough time with God in prayer? In Luke 6:12, we read that Jesus spent an entire night with God in prayer? When was the last time that you spent that much time with the Lord? How often do you pray? Many times, God wants us to spend more time with him then on watching television and surfing Facebook.
- Luke 18:1 teaches us that Jesus taught the disciples to not give up in prayer. Keep on praying until you get what you are seeking from God. Of course, you need to follow the above steps as well.